Chili-Hummus Baked Potato
I am SO grateful that complex carbohydrates are REALLY REALLY REALLY good for us! Don't be scared of carbs! The reason there's so much confusion is that there's more then one type of carbohydrate! Simple carbohydrates (cookies, cakes, breads, crackers, candy, etc.) have a lot of calories and fat but little to no fiber to help us stay full which means we get hungrier faster even though we may have eaten a lot of calories already. Complex carbohydrates (beans, oatmeal, brown rice, potatoes, corn, quinoa, etc.) naturally contain less calories (unless you prepare them with fat) yet are full of fiber, vitamins, and minerals and keep us fuller for much much longer so that we don't need to eat as much. We need complex carbohydrates to keep us feeling full! This way we can eat enough food and yet weigh less because complex carbohydrates are less calories and more dense to keep you feeling satisfied for longer. So go ahead, eat this baked potato with beans AND corn on it!
Another Kale Recipes: Cashew Cream of Kale
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 2 c pinto beans
- 1 c salsa
- 2 c corn, frozen, thawed
- 1/4 tsp salt, or more to taste
- ¼ c hummus
- ¼ c sunflower seeds
- dash of smoked paprika or chili powder, optional
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Scrub the potatoes thoroughly and rinse with water. Cut out blemishes or bad spots with a paring knife. Prick the potatoes in a few places with a fork to allow steam to escape during the baking process.
- Bake potatoes on a baking sheet for 50 to 60 minutes.
- Potatoes are done when the insides feel completely soft when pierced.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool (be CAREFUL they are HOT). When cool enough to touch slice in half.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine beans, salsa, corn, and salt. Cook for 10 minutes or until hot.
- When chili is ready scoop 1/2 cup onto each baked potato. Dollop 1 tablespoon of hummus and sprinkle 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds over the top.
- If desired, garnish potatoes with chili powder or smoked paprika.
- Serve hot.