Chocolate Chip Milk Shake
Jason has a few recipes in his life that he likes to call Tried and True (meaning he loves them and they are always good). He loves eating the same breakfast every morning (Jason's Triple Berry Oat Bowl-link below). He wants the same thing for lunch everyday ( 1 cup quinoa or brown rice, 2 cups beans, a handful of kale or cabbage, 1/4 cup corn and either salsa of creole spice). He likes eating a sweet snack in the afternoon like Chocolate Brownie Fudge Bites or Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars (links below) and another of his tried and true favorites is his Banana Hemp Seed Milk Shake (which he typically makes after a long run). I've taken his favorite recipe and made it thicker (with less milk), sweeter (by adding dates), and crunchier (cocoa nibs for a crunchy win). We loves it and sometimes I crave that cold creamy chocolaty sweetness. Ok, this was my lunch last Thursday AND my breakfast this morning! Make this for dinner tonight, nobody will fault you for drinking a milk shake! It's packed full of nutrients and fiber and come on, it's Friday after all! TGI Friday, and good night.
Recipe adopted from: Wendy’s Copycat Vegan Frosty
- 1 frozen banana, broken into small chunks
- 1/2 c almond milk, unsweetened
- 1-2 medjool dates
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds (peanut or almond butter would work too)
- 1 tbsp cocoa nibs
- Peel and freeze banana(s). They must be frozen for at least 24 hours prior.
- Break frozen bananas into smaller pieces.
- In a high-powered blender add almond milk and dates (make sure pits and stems are removed). Blend until the dates has broken into tiny pieces.
- Add cocoa powder and hemp seeds and blend until smooth ( you could add more milk if you want a thinner milk shake). I like it REAL thick.
- When the milk shake is smooth add cocoa nibs and pulse a few times to combine the shake.
- Serve immediately with a spoon or straw!