Banana Cream Pie Oatmeal
Scoop some creamy steel cut oatmeal into your bowl, slather it with tofu cream, decorate it with chopped bananas, toasted chopped pecans and coconut flakes and sprinkle a hint of cinnamon over the top. Whoop, there it is! What a deliciously healthy treat to wake up too! Hello, gonna keep those New Years Resolutions in style.
Recipe adopted from: Cinnamon Pear Steel Cut Oatmeal
Steel Cut Oatmeal:
- 1 c steel cut oats
- ½ c dates, pitted
- 4 c water
- ½ tsp salt
Banana Cream Pie Toppings:
- 4 bananas, small
- 1/4 c toasted pecans
- 1/4 c toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1/2 c tofu cream, optional
- 1 block silken tofu
- 1 banana
- 2 medjool dates
- Remove pits and stems from dates and chop into small pieces.
- Place dates, steel cut oats, salt, and water into a rice cooker.
- Turn on. It will cook for about 45 minutes without additional attention needed (the best way).
- Alternatively you can throw the oatmeal ingredients into a saucepan and cook on the stove for about 30 minutes on low (stirring occasionally).
- You don’t have to toast your pecans and coconut to make this recipe easier and faster, but it is totally worth your time! (TIP: toast several cups at a time and store the rest in the freezer to speed up recipes like this in the future). If toasting the pecans and coconut:
- Preheat oven to 450F
- Pour pecans onto a baking sheet and coconut flakes on a separate baking sheet. Place separate baking sheets on the top rack of your oven (or alternate pans between the oven racks). Toast for 5-10 minutes. Watch carefully. They can burn or catch on fire if you don’t keep an eye on them. (TIP: set a timer for 60 seconds and keep restarting it and rechecking every minute until they are done.)
- Cooking time varies, but when you smell the toasty pecans and coconut then you know that they are done. Pull them out before they burn!
- Tofu cream: Blend silken tofu, 1 banana, and 2 dates together until smooth. Store in the fridge.
- Peel bananas and slice into small slivers, set aside.
- To serve: Divide steel cut oatmeal, banana slices, cinnamon, toasted coconut and toasted pecans between 3 or 4 bowls and add a nice large dollop (or two) of tofu cream into each bowl. Serve warm (cold is good too).